Foster and Homeless Youth


Foster Youth are considered students that are dependents or wards in foster care, protected under AB490 and AB 216 (2013). Foster Youth have the same rights of other students in the District. The protection of the these students include, but are not limited to, the right to a stable school placement and the right to be immediately enrolled in school even if all the typically required school records or immunizations are not available.



A child experiencing homelessness is guaranteed enrollment in school by the federal McKinney-Vento Act and California State law.

Your child or children may have the right to:

  • Immediate enrollment in the school they last attended (school of origin) or the local school where you are currently staying, even if you do not have all the documents normally required at the time of enrollment.
  • Continue to attend their school of origin, if requested by you and it is in the best interest.
  • Receive transportation to and from their school of origin, the same special programs and services, if needed, as provided to all other children, including free meals and Title I.
  • Receive the full protections and services provided under all federal and state laws, as it relates to homeless children, youth, and their families.


If you are staying temporarily in the Centinela Valley Union High School School District (CVUHSD) attendance area, complete the Student Housing Questionnaire (SHQ) by clicking HERE.


CVUHSD Services Provided:

Students experiencing homelessness are provided with the following if needed:

  • Transportation – bus passes to get to/from school
  • Breakfast and lunch at school
  • School Supplies
  • Backpacks for Kids
  • Clothing, Shoes, and Toiletries
  • Assistance with enrollment
  • Assistance with obtaining school records
  • Tutoring of homework assistance

**To access our resources visit the CV Stop & Shop website.**


Free Birth Certificates for People Experiencing Homelessness

Under AB 1733, Californians experiencing homelessness, as defined further in the federal McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act, are eligible to receive at no cost, a certified record of live birth or a state-issued photo identification card subject to several conditions. (Please download form below.)


Higher Education Help for Students Experiencing Homelessness


The National Association for the Education of Homeless Children and Youth (NAEHCY) offers assistance, including but not limited, to:


  • Unaccompanied Homeless Youth who want to attend college but aren't sure what options are available to them to assist in paying for it.
  • Parents of students experiencing homelessness who wish to understand what supports may be available to their children to help them attend college.
  • Scholarships

For assistance with issues related to students experiencing homelessness accessing higher education, contact the NAEHCY Higher Education Helpline at 1 (855) 446-2673 (toll-free) or [email protected] , or visit NAEHCY Higher Education  for more information.




For questions regarding Foster & Homeless Youth Services, please contact the District Coordinator:

Tina Preciado
Student Welfare and Instructional Support Specialist


RESOURCES (linked below)

  • Foster Youth Legislation & Laws
  • CA Education Legislation for Students in Foster Care
  • Foster Youth Education Toolkit
  • Foster Youth Bill of Rights – English
  • Foster Youth Bill of Rights – Spanish
  • Birth Certificate Form AB1733
  • LA County Homeless Youth Education Program Brochure – English
  • LA County Homeless Youth Education Program Brochure – Spanish
  • Homeless & Foster Children and Youth Laws